I started this blog when I was away travelling, it was a way for me to share photos whilst I was away & keep friends & fam updated whilst on the road. Somewhere along the lines it turned into more.
As I wrote a similar post at the back end of 2012, I wrapped up the year having shot alot of weddings and few other projects here and there. (Check it here).
This past year I’ve had so many amazing opportunities to go back to where I started, shooting music. It’s where my heart’s at, I’d be fooling myself and regret it one day if I didn’t dedicate my focus to it 150% to see where it takes me. Yep crazy little me is essentially wingin’ it and seeing what happens….
It’s incredibly challenging to walk away from something that gives you stability, to walk back to something that involves so much risk taking and takes longer to maybe establish yourself in. It’s not only about the quality of your work, it’s about the people you meet along the way, the opportunities they have for you, the opportunities you seek, selling yourself, marketing, representing YOURSELF. So many different elements. Your truly out of your depth!! God knows I’ve stood in certain situations thinking ‘What the fuck am I doing? Why did I just say that’ CRIIINGE!
This past year has been crazy, I’m one of those people who constantly question what I’m doing, how well am I doing it and can I be doing more to better my work. I’m my own worst critic, I picked up an order today and had the guy reprint some documents for me cause the text didn’t line up quite right. Yeah I’m THAT person on a Sunday morning asking them to shift the text over this way and that way and drop this a little here and move it over there please. I always say please. If your doing something, doing it right, or as best you can!
I learnt alot this past year, craaazzy amount of ‘alot’…..
Some – In no particular order –
– People will scope you and your work out, more so if they feel threatened by your work. They will flat out try to break you – fuck them – If they are insecure about their work – the issue lies with them not you. Keep your head down and keep going. It’s not about ego, it’s about being humble but knowing your work’s worth and time. It’s not a 9-5 it’s a lifestyle. Know your worth. Through and through.
– Have no expectations – Make the most of every opportunity you have. The grass is always greener, if opportunities are taken away from you, that’s totally fine, keep bettering your work and if it speaks for itself, the right opportunities will present themselves if and when your seeking them.
– Unfortunately it’s easy to label and tag people. Be aware of who you are surrounding yourself with & who you associate yourself with.
– Follow your gut instinct. If your blessed to be intuitive – FOLLOW THAT INTUITION. Can’t even stress it enough – If your getting bad vibes about certain situations and people, steer away from them. It’s as simple as that.
– Sharing is caring! Never underestimate the power of reaching out and helping someone – through work or personal affairs. Help because you WANT to, not because you have any EXPECTATIONS. Expectations are the devils work! But some people will flat out try and take advantage of you – this is where you follow your gut instinct!
– Social Weirdia – Plenty of odd balls online. Be careful what you tweet! Be weary of who you associate yourself with even on social media. Inc Facebook!
– Don’t forget to celebrate your achievements, no matter how little or big they are. Remember, the little things make the big things happen 😉 Give yourself a pat on the back!
Who knows what the new year will bring – Chances are there will be ups and downs as per norm! That’s all part of the journey though isn’t it?! The in-between is just…. that!
A HUGE thank you to everyone who I’ve had the opportunity to meet and shoot this year – Your faces are all part of the bigger picture. You guys are INCREDIBLY talented and I wish you guys all the success in the world!!
For you guys who I’ve turned to for help / opportunities – I THANK YOU for any and every opportunity you’ve able to help with. You know who you are!
For my subscribers, massive thank you for sticking by it and tuning in to my updates and going ons! It’s motivation to keep this thing updated 😉
Here’s to 2014 and reaping what you sow….
2013 from behind the lens…
See you guys on the other side!!